After returning home from kindergarten, I could always be found scooping up my stuffed animals and dolls by the armful. We would make the trek, out of the toy cupboard or my bedroom, down the stairs and into the family room. There, rows of chairs and pillows awaited my toys. Only they weren't toys anymore; they were my students. And, armed with chalk and eraser, I taught them my day's lessons. My siblings had long since abandoned the idea of playing school with me, coming to the sad realization that the teacher's position was permanently occupied. This may have disappointed me for a moment, but I eventually found their replacements just as cute, and ever-more attentive.
My eventual decision to major in early childhood/elementary education came as no surprise to my family. And, to be honest, I was reluctant to seriously consider homeschooling our children in large part because I knew I would really enjoy it. I didn't want to make this huge decision , which would impact our children for better or worse, for any selfish reason. In the end, my love of teaching was not a factor when the actual decision-making happened. And, yet, I have to admit how truly naive I was...
The transition to homeschooling has been noteable. Those first few Friday nights, I eagerly flung myself on my bed soon after tucking in the kids(a complete exaggeration, since I had nowhere near the energy to be eager or the strength to fling anything! Plus, I am certain it was my blessed husband that did the tucking those nights.) I have shed countless tears over new curriculum, crazy daily schedules, and feelings of inadequacy. And, yet, somewhere along the way, this new lifestyle has become our lifestyle; this crazy new way of life, our life. And, even though we've only been at it 2 months and 10 days (who's counting??), some beautiful things are happening. Friendships are being rekindled (the best, sibling kind), little one is thriving, olders are learning to nurture, I've come closer to becoming a patient mama, and learning seems to be enjoyable (although no one's made that crazy admission yet!)
So, that's the general update. We're working, we're striving, we're not giving up. And sometime soon, I'll give you more details of this, our crazy wonderful new life. That is, if you haven't all been replaced by dolls....
My eventual decision to major in early childhood/elementary education came as no surprise to my family. And, to be honest, I was reluctant to seriously consider homeschooling our children in large part because I knew I would really enjoy it. I didn't want to make this huge decision , which would impact our children for better or worse, for any selfish reason. In the end, my love of teaching was not a factor when the actual decision-making happened. And, yet, I have to admit how truly naive I was...
The transition to homeschooling has been noteable. Those first few Friday nights, I eagerly flung myself on my bed soon after tucking in the kids(a complete exaggeration, since I had nowhere near the energy to be eager or the strength to fling anything! Plus, I am certain it was my blessed husband that did the tucking those nights.) I have shed countless tears over new curriculum, crazy daily schedules, and feelings of inadequacy. And, yet, somewhere along the way, this new lifestyle has become our lifestyle; this crazy new way of life, our life. And, even though we've only been at it 2 months and 10 days (who's counting??), some beautiful things are happening. Friendships are being rekindled (the best, sibling kind), little one is thriving, olders are learning to nurture, I've come closer to becoming a patient mama, and learning seems to be enjoyable (although no one's made that crazy admission yet!)
So, that's the general update. We're working, we're striving, we're not giving up. And sometime soon, I'll give you more details of this, our crazy wonderful new life. That is, if you haven't all been replaced by dolls....

11 comments:
I had to laugh at the image of you flopping into bed completely exhausted. I don't know why that is so funny to me. Probably because I'm evil.
I'm glad you guys have found a rhythm - your kids are lucky to have you for a mom AND a teacher.
You are the first person I've known that's done this in a way that I find totally cool and impressive. Growing up home schoolers were kids that never quite learned to read. And some of the Utah ones I've met are the med-school-at-14 types. You are the perfect example of how it can be done. It reminds me of how fun school was as a kid when you had a great teacher. Keep up the hard work! Ha ha. Seriously though, you're awesome.
I admire your determination and I'm glad to hear that you are having some successes along the way. I can only try to imagine how tired you must be by Friday, and then the kids don't go home to their parents for the weekend because they are already home. I think I'm getting a headache just thinking about it! We still need to get our families together sometime.
You're incredible. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Good for you. Can't wait for more updates.
AMAZING!!! That is all I have to say.
You are amazing and your kids are blessed to be yours!
You guys are sweet; thanks for the encouragement. I just have to add that I don't think we give ourselves enough credit (as moms, women, or human beings.) We were born to do hard things; I see people doing them all around me. Infertility, illness, death, loss of children or pregnancy, unrealized hopes and dreams, relationship problems, financial stress, whatever. But He has not left us comfortless, or without help. That and love around us is how we get through the hard things. Right? You ladies are every bit as capable (and in my eyes, so very much more) than me. So, women, let me hear you roar! ;) k, I may not be getting out enough...
Can I send Kait over? You are amazing! Seriously! And yes we can do hard things.
I'm glad things are getting into pattern for you. It is one of the most fun and one of the hardest things to do to keep your kids home and teach them yourself. Figuring out how they learn best, when to push, and when to back off is a constant struggle for us. Funny to read about you playing school. I spent one hour each day of my senior year in high school helping a third grade teacher. I decided not to become a teacher after that (and she was a good teacher)! Ironic how things turn out.
I do believe you owe us another update?
Okay, so I am a little behind in my blog reading. I was so impressed with this post. I loved remembering how much you loved playing school (and library). I am happy you are enjoying this journey with your wonderful children.
Post a Comment