On Saturday, we took the kids to the hospital for a class about welcoming our new baby. We've been doing sort of a mini-unit on this at home, so I really didn't know if the class would be overkill. Turns out it was a great experience; even the reluctant biggest brothers walked away with (mostly) good things to say about it! I only teared up twice (well, only noticeably twice)... when we were shown two brand-new babies. But I'm nine months pregnant, watching my three oldest children carefully toting around baby dolls while we tour the hospital I am about to give birth in, and listening to visitors and nurses coo about how sweet they were. I really don't think it counts that I teared up when the nurse approached the nursery window and held a precious little newborn to the glass for our children to see. I wish I had remembered my camera; they were all very sweet.
...Except when Gabe wanted NOTHING to do with the baby doll. He pretty much freaked out and practically threw it on the ground. It was pretty large and floppier than most of his sister's dolls, so I am choosing not to read anything into it. He did thank the "home teacher" for the cookies and movie before we left, and is still wearing his "I'm a Big Brother" button he received for passing the class.
I'm also choosing not to be concerned that Micah repeatedly shook his doll, held it upside down, and was generally ridiculous in his handling of it. The teacher eventually suggested he not be allowed to hold the actual baby. But he was the sweetest with Gabe and loves babies generally. So, please. He's 7 and dolls aren't his toy of choice.
They are all very anxious for their little brother's arrival. I'm nearly ready; we just have one more day of schooling to finish up, then it's time for me to really get serious about preparing for this little one. Wish us luck! :)
Saturday, May 22, 2010
Big Brother/Big Sister Class
Posted by alison at 10:19 PM
Labels: change coming, family, school at home
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
That is so ridiculously sweet. I love that you did that, they will probably remember it forever (at least J, M, & A) and I'm sure you will!
Also, yes, I'm positive Micah will treat his new baby brother differently than a doll. Silly kid.
Post a Comment