Friday, November 7, 2008

Baptism Day


Jonah has been looking forward to and preparing for his baptism for years now. This was completely his decision, and he has tried hard to study and learn as the time drew closer. What a tender experience to watch my first child be both baptized and blessed with the gift of the Holy Ghost. He has always been a sweet boy, always willing to help when asked & often without even needing an assignment. Having a boy first sort of concerned me; I was worried he might be a bully. From a young age, I taught him the roles of an older sibling: 1. to protect 2. to be nice. He has taken those roles seriously, and I think he is following the examples of Jesus Christ and Hyrum Smith (the ultimate big brothers) very well.



We were able to have a separate service (as opposed to the group, or stake, baptisms they usually do where we live), and that was extra special because he knew and chose everyone who participated in the baptismal service. We felt grateful for friends and family that took the time to be there. It meant a lot to him, and to us. And of course we enjoyed eating and visiting with everybody at our house afterwards. My only regret is not taking more pictures of friends and family... oh well!

Saying goodbye. Is it just me or does Nana look a little too happy about this? She was in sort of a hurry to leave this time. Hmmph.

A friendly game of war with Papa


Autumn keeps talking about that cute baby Sam, who is younger but bigger than her little brother! (She's having a hard time reconciling that one.) ;)

5 comments:

Jill P. said...

Congratulations to Jonah on his baptism! Blythe also had a private baptismal service, which was wonderful. Our stake has since switched to stake baptisms so I'm a little sad that Brynne won't have the same experience.

TiffaniS said...

Congratulations to Jonah. I think being the first child carries a lot of responsibility. Our Hailee Jo is so responsible and good and kind. I don't know what I would do without her. I enjoyed seeing pictures of your parents since I have never met them. How great to have them visit you!

Eve said...

Jonah really is such a good brother. You have done a great job with all your kids, they are all the perfect mixture of tender and silly.

Kurt and Tami said...

It must be hard to see your first child old enough already to be baptized. It goes by so fast doesn't it? Congratulations! You made a good choice Jonah.

Elmer said...

He's so cute and so grown up (I'm talking about Jonah, of course). :)