...which we have NOT been keeping at all lately! And that has made our holiday season so much more enjoyable. But soon, we will be back to our routine. Every afternoon brings something different.
On MONDAYS, we stay home and enjoy unit studies together. We'll be studying inventions and inventors in January. So far this year, we've studied the ocean, wetlands, Thanksgiving and the Wampanoag Indians, and Christmas/other holiday celebrations. Here are the kids in front of a local wetland:
One of our favorite homeschooling activities is TUESDAY science club. We've joined forces with two other homeschooling families in our neighborhood. They each have a boy Jonah's age, a boy Micah's age, and a girl Autumn's age. Kind of makes me feel like someone else is watching over us! ;) For three weeks every month, each age group goes to a different home to learn about part of the animal kingdom. Then we all go on a field trip together the last week of the month. We're studying mammals in January. Here's our September field trip to a local aquarium:
WEDNESDAY is time for unit studies again.
THURSDAY, Jonah goes to his Knights of Freedom group. Basically, he gets together with other homeschooled eight to eleven year-old boys and they learn about various people. This year, his group is studying mountain men. They read one biography a month and then have weekly activities which usually relate to the person being studied. Afterwards, they play a group game and have their weekly sword fight (with swords made of water noodles.) Basically, he's in boy heaven! And while he's away, Autumn and Micah play like the best of friends.
FRIDAY is our homeschool P.E. group. A homeschooling father teaches a group of children from around the valley different games and sports. We have learned that the homeschooling community is a very generous and talented bunch!
Of course, there are ballet lessons, basketball games & practices and piano lessons scattered throughout the week. But since we have no homework (well, I guess it's all homework!), these are welcomed additions.
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
The afternoon schedule...
Posted by alison at 2:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow, I wish I was that organized!
I'm learning so much more about you on the blog then I ever could in the Relief Society announcements ;) (congrats on the beebee).
Anyway, I have been back and forthing the idea to homeschool for years, and it blows my mind that people can just DO IT. I'm excited to learn more about how you work it all in.
p.s. you broke into my house and left christmas goodies. I tried to do the same but you were gone AND the door was locked. So I ate them. too bad for you..
Amber,
i didn't get the report about the break-in. Hope nothing's missing! We'll leave the door unlocked next time; don't want to be missing out on any more goodies! :)
You are absolutely, positively, no doubt about it amazing Alison! I just don't know how you have the energy to do it all, but your kids are lucky!
Ditto - Eve's comment. I congratulate you and envy the kids.
Post a Comment