Let me give you another glimpse into me the mother.
Two days before Christmas, we took the kids sledding with some other families. None of those families was allowed to go down the bigger of two hills at the sledding park. I'll admit it... I thought that was sort of lame. We'd been down the big hill dozens of times with no incident. (You know what's coming, don't you? But I didn't.) I'd been hanging with Gabe on the smaller hill, then made my way over to the big one, to let Clint and the other kids know their friends wouldn't be able to join them there. Jonah was already lying in a heap on the snow, upset. He had gone off a jump, flown two feet in the air and landed on his shoulder. After checking it out, I smartly decided he was overreacting. He sat on a bench for the remaining 45 minutes or so, still upset. We took another look at it, decided it must just be bruised, and that was that. Of course, he wasn't using his arm much for the next FOUR DAYS. I still thought he was being ridiculous. Until Clint convinced me to take him to the doctor's, who sent us to the x-ray tech, who took a picture that looked an awful lot like a broken collar bone, which the doctor confirmed was in fact a fractured collar bone. Which left me feeling like that elusive mother-of-the-year award had slipped away... again.
Thursday, December 31, 2009
just so you don't get the wrong idea...
Posted by alison at 10:08 AM
Labels: humbling stuff, i'm a moron, mother-of-the-year
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
All I have to say is I hope he milks it. My only regret from when I broke my hand is that I didn't milk the guilt.
Okay, apparently that wasn't all I had to say. I just noticed your labels. Heh.
I think you might still be in the running for mother-of-the-year...
I let Noah walk around for almost a day until I realized he had a broken collarbone--and he was only 14 months at the time. I feel your pain.:)
That reminds me of when I broke my collar bone. My mom didn't believe anything was wrong with me, either.
You still qualify for mother of the year. Anyone who can homeschool like you're doing definitely qualifies.
Nice "mother of the year" moment huh? I say that you really could be IF you aren't afraid to go on the big hill again. There is too much general paranoia in parenting nowadays.
I did that...but it was broken leg. We can share the award! Great post, Kim
Great!! Now maybe I'll get it this year! Which we all know is insanely craziness!! Don't beat yourself up to much Alison. You are amazing!
abrazos, chica! i did this a couple of weeks ago with joshua...it wasn't a broken bone, it was a stomach bug...i kept telling him to quit whining he was fine - then spent 2 hours that night cleaning two bunk beds and a wall while trying not to wake up the sleeping baby in the same room...and then staying up another 2-3 hours doing loads of laundry. i'm getting passed over for that award this year as well.
Take solace in the fact that almost every mother has been there. Funny story and lovely blog. Thanks for visiting mine.
I let my nine month old go five days with a broke wrist before we had an x-ray. He learned how to do things really quickly with out using his arm. You are not alone.
Ahhhh, The mother-of-the-year award! Allison, I'm pretty sure you have had it for years now. So sorry about the break!
Post a Comment